So you’ve decided that you really want to come to CodeMobile but there’s a problem! You need your Boss to also want you to come to CodeMobile.
Its not always easy to convince the person who holds the budget to agree to let you attend a conference, so we thought we would help. Below is our 4 step approach to ensure your Boss sees CodeMobile as a must attend event.
Step 1 – Familiarise yourself with the speakers and schedule
Before you approach your Boss it’s a good idea to familiarise yourself with the agenda and speakers. Your boss will want to hear that CodeMobile have an impressive line up of guest speakers, so here’s a list from CodeMobile 2017. These are all companies your Boss will have heard of and is likely to respect. Once we’ve announced our 2018 speakers you can highlight who you’re looking forward to the most.
Ask yourself what are your companies short and long term goals. It will be worth identifying speakers and sessions that are talking about things your company is interested in.
Step 2 – Create a simple agenda of sessions you would like to attend
Create an outline of sessions you would like to attend and create justifications for each choice. Be very specific, for example if your company is currently reviewing the security of one of your Android apps it might be helpful to point out who will be talking about best practices application security.
It might also be worth considering which speakers you would really like to network with. Create a list of 5 speakers who will have the most relevant knowledge to share, and develop a few questions you’d like to ask them. This is just another tool to help you prove that the conference will be a worthwhile experience, and that you’re prepared to make the most out of it.
Step 3 – Outline your top 3 reasons for attending
You will want to explain to your boss as succinctly as possible why the conference is unique and worth attending. Here are some of our ideas that we believe make the conference a must attend event!
- You will gain practical skills and learn proven methods for improving your performance. To deliver on your organization’s mission, you must ensure you are using current technologies in order to get results. Keeping your skills up to date is critical to the success of your business. Attending the conference will provide you with new skills and methods that will be of immediate benefit to your organisation.
- Learning from real success stories means you will save time and money trying to figure out what works. Many organizations waste time going through a lot of trial and error before discovering the formula to success. CodeMobile aims to challenge your current way of thinking and provide you with actionable advice and take-aways. Our speakers will challenge you to think critically about your work. They will also provide you with actions and advice you can start using immediately.
- This is a networking opportunity you can’t miss. Speakers from some of the World’s best known brands will be at CodeMobile talking about how they develop within their organisations. This is a unique opportunity to learn from the best!
Step 4 – Send a formal request letter (if required)
A good request letter contains all the necessary information your boss needs to make an informed decision:
- You should be upfront in your introduction and state your top three reasons for attending.
- You should articulate how the event will benefit you and your organization.
- Consider including a few sessions you’d like to attend, and your list of 5 speakers you’d like to network with.
- You could also include an estimated cost breakdown – How much do you need for travel and meals? This will provide you with a negotiating tool. Your boss may be willing to send you if you can find a way to reduce expenses. For example stating that there is no need for a hotel because accommodation is provided in the ticket price!
Please Click here to download our sample letter.
We hope the above help and advice is useful! And we very much hope to see you at CodeMobile!